1 John 2:4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Introduction: The reason I have decided to start preaching on the commands of Christ is simple: The verse just shared says if we claim to know Him, and we do not do His commands we are liars, and none of us want to be found to be liars. The word “know” in the Hebrew (Yes, I understand this was greek) as understood by a first century Jew is an intimate word, to experience Him, and we can’t truly experience Him without waking in His shoes, following His commands, following his lead. So in this first lesson I am going to speak about His final Command, to take the word to the world. I am going to cover three things in this lesson; Taking the word to the world, how do we do that? Explaining how apologetics works in this endeavor, how we must know His words, and commands, and the power of those words.
fulfilling Christ’s final command to the church.
Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
This is the job of the preacher or Evangelist
- Who is a preacher?
- We are all preachers
Ephesians 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
- What do we teach? Euangelistes: “a messenger of glad tidings “ or good news
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- The verb form of preach is Kerusso, meaning to proclaim… like the great opera singer Curroso
- What is his duty?
- To preach the word
- Cause people to grow in Christ
- To preach the word
Ephesians 4: 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ
Before we begin let’s identify our world, who are these people? Not location but who…
- The believer who has a right understanding of the word, with this person we give encouragement when we speak of the truth of the word,
- The person who has belief, but under a false doctrine:, this is the first line of apologetics; defending the true interpretation of the word.
- The person who has rejected God, or simply has no knowledge of God.
So now lets take a look at how we can accomplish this, and not just preaching the word, but being successful
HOW DO WE DO THIS??? THROUGH APOLOGETICS
There are two Forms of Apologetics
- Defending the accuracy and truth of the Scripture
- EXAMPLE: is this the same bible for over the thousands of years, or has it changed?
- Have the scientific facts stated in the bible now being substantiated by modern science? Have the prophesies that were once predictions of future events, but now historically been fulfilled accurately?
- Defending and teaching the correct and true message of the bible
- EXAMPLE: We looked at John 3:16 at the beginning of the lesson: What does believe mean? Does it mean every word breathed from God, or just that you believe in Christ? If it means, just believing in Christ then you have to ask yourself why doesn’t the verse state, will have eternal life, rather than should have eternal life?
- The word we use is should, the NIV and others use the word shall, but the original word in Greek is M’E (pronounced may) means may in a negative sense such as may not, and the short definition is not, lest, so it is saying that if you believe in Christ you might not perish, and in no way can be conceived as “will not perish” which would give the meaning as “If you believe, you will absolutely not perish”.
- WITNESS: Jesus told us that whoever says they believe in Him, and do not do as He commanded is a liar.
Tonight we are going to look at both forms, but focus on the 2nd form of apologetics, teaching the Bible correctly and defending it.
- The traditional meaning of Apologetics comes from Apologia, found in
1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
- Means to give a logical / legal defense of the word
- As we defend the word, we are going to come across three general types of people in relationship to God’s word.
- We must learn biblical/ Christian apologetics to open the line of communication with the non-believer
Matthew 13 The Parable of the Sower
13 On the same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the sea. 2 And great multitudes were gathered together to Him, so that He got into a boat and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore. 3 Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. 5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. 8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
- A good Farmer will prepare ground first
1 test the soil
2 Remove grass, or rocks
3 till the ground
4 fertilize the ground
5 plant your seed
6 weed your garden
7 Harvest your crop
- This form of apologetics will not change men’s hearts, only open their minds to hear the words that will
- Only the word of God will change men’s lives.
- Also means to teach the word… correctly as the true form of apologetics
2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Acknowledge there are false teachers
2 Peter 2:1-2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
- look at 1 Timothy 6:20-21. The first letter of Paul to Timothy ends with a word of warning, to recognize error.
“Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and 21 in so doing have wandered from the faith.”
- The evangelist has no other authority than the Word of God
- To stand between the “babe in Christ” and the false teacher
1 Timothy 6: 3-4 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions,
Requires knowledge & Bible Education
- We must have knowledge, correct knowledge through study in order to lead a person from false doctrine.
- And, we must examine ourselves daily to make sure we know the truth.
Acts 17:11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.
The Word has great power
- The effective evangelist, regardless of ability must have absolute belief in the word and the power of the word
- Teach Faithful Men To Teach Others
(2 Timothy 2:2) “And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.”
It Has Power
- Every word has power
Luke 1:37 – “For nothing is impossible with God ”.
- It is empowered by inspiration of God’s Spirit
Micah 3:8 But as for me, I am filled with power,
with the Spirit of the Lord,
and with justice and might,
to declare to Jacob his transgression
and to Israel his sin.
It Empowers the Preacher
- The Spirit of God convicts men of sin through the preaching the Word
John 16:8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:.
- The apostles preached the Word by the inspiration of the Spirit at Pentecost
Acts 2:1-4 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested[a] on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- Cornelius was saved by the preaching of the word by Peter
(Acts 10:1-48 through 11:1-14).
- We have this same word today, and it is just as powerful.
It Has The Power Of Introspection.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart..
- It brings men face to face with themselves.
- It reaches the conscience of men regardless of the ability of the preacher.
It Accomplishes God’s Purpose.
Isaiah 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
- Like a seed falling on a field will bring forth crops, His Word will not return to Him void.
- It must be preached
2 Chronicles 36:12He did evil in the sight of the Lord his God, and did not humble himself before Jeremiah the prophet, who spoke from the mouth of the Lord.
It Has The Power To Save Souls.
- Romans 1: 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ,[a] for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. Faith comes by hearing the Word
- It is the power of God to those who are being saved (1 Corinthians 1:21; 2:4-5).
- Our faith is not in our abilities, but in the power of God’s word to change the lives of men.
- It Has Power Over False Teachers. “Is not My word like fire,” declares the LORD, “and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces? ” (Jeremiah 23:29).
- God’s word is like a sledgehammer.
- It can break the stony-heart of men to the saving of their souls.
- how long it would take to turn the entire world to the Christian belief?
In Conclusion the job of the preacher; each and everyone of us, is to save souls, preach the word, defend the word in the sense of teaching the word correctly, and teaching how it can be trusted to be the truth, and to train faithful men to train others.
And we do this because we have a high view of the Bible and it’s power to change men…. So finally it is this… we must convince people the bible is the truth, a truth can they can trust their lives to it, we must teach them the word being totally convinced of it’s truth and power, with a great passion. We must know the scripture so we can be sure we teach it correctly, and have the power to denounce the false teacher, and to lead deceived believers away from those who would lead people to hell while they think they are on their way to heaven.
I thank you for your time, and the lesson is yours.
If anyone here tonight hasn’t given their complete souls, hearts, and commitment to God, please come forward along with those who are in need of prayer.
- Alter Call