Pick up Your Cross And Follow Me
A. Thank you for having me…
B. Tonight’s Topic will be Pick up your Cross and Follow Me
- Our verse is Matthew 16: 24 – 26 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
- We will be talking about what it means to DESIRE to follow Christ
- What does it mean to Deny ourselves, and why do we lose our life if we try to save it? Does that make sense? Or what does it mean if we lose our lives we will save it, and what does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul,
- What could we possibly trade our soul that would make us a winner in the transaction?
If anyone Desires to follow Me
A. Deny Self
a. John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.
b. Greater what? Love? What is the word love in this passage?
c. Agape? Agape love is selfless, sacrificial, unconditional love. It is the highest of the four types of love in the Bible. Agape is the term that defines God’s immeasurable, incomparable love for humankind. It is his ongoing, outgoing, self-sacrificing concern for lost and fallen people.”Agape love,” says Anders Nygren, “Is unmotivated in the sense that it is not contingent on any value or worth in the object of love. It is spontaneous and heedless, for it does not determine beforehand whether love will be effective or appropriate in any particular case.”
d. Putting others before yourself
B. Self Preservation
a. John 13:38 Jesus answered him, “Will you lay down your life for My sake? Most assuredly, I say to you, the rooster shall not crow till you have denied Me three times
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it
For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?
1. How many lose their soul for very little? Not just being a movie star, or selling your soul to the devil to be a great musician or athlete
2. A life filled with sin, such as Alcohol, or drugs, adultery, or any number of sinful lifestyles
What will a man give in exchange for his soul?
1. For what appears to be a good exchange: Knowingly, for fame and fortune
2. Selling it cheaply: Unknowingly for a sinful lifestyle
But whoever loses his life for My sake will find it
Here in the present, during our walk in the world
- A life well lived
- Not filled with the results of a sinful life
During our eternal life
- Life in Heaven
- Not In Hell